Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A release of intense basic frustration, anger, and aggression, especially that rediscovered by means of primal therapy.figurative ‘the lyrics unleash a gigantic primal scream at the urban alienation and despair of our industrial world’
- ‘Joren let out a primal scream which seemed to take physical substance as it met everyone's ears.’
- ‘On vacation on Mexico's Caribbean coast last summer, the couple smeared each other with melon, papaya and mud from the jungle, and then let out primal screams of ‘purifying agony.’’
- ‘But Eberstadt cautions us against simply dismissing what she calls ‘the primal scream of teenage music.’’
- ‘A red haze filled his vision, and he let out a primal scream.’
- ‘Daniel heard a primal scream coming from the crater and Carol shot from the pit like a bullet.’
- ‘This is by no means to suggest that I mind when you, gentle reader, lay down a primal scream or two for head-clearing or aesthetic purposes.’
- ‘With a primal scream, I sprinted to the coast and leaped into the water.’
- ‘I remember rolling up the windows of my car one day and letting out a primal scream.’
- ‘Everything she has ever done in music is compressed into this role; it is nothing less than a form of aboriginal creativity - a song and dance version of a prolonged primal scream.’
- ‘He screamed a primal scream that rattled bones, chilled blood and reached what mysterious organs served for the ears of those who live on the edges of the universe.’
- ‘I would try to describe my feelings at this point in the narrative, but a primal scream is really more appropriate.’
- ‘The music erupts with oppressive repeated guitar riffs, explosive pounding on drums, and banged-out dissonant tone clusters and glissandi on the piano, highlighting primal screams of rage and frustration.’
- ‘Jeremy's vocals fluctuate from a whisper to a primal scream while Dan's guitar work is comprehensive as it expands way beyond power chords.’
- ‘As the movie progresses he becomes more and more ‘unhinged’ and at the end is reduced to tearful whimpering and huge bellowing primal screams in the least convincing manner possible.’
- ‘The apparently unintelligible stuff is by far the most common, and isn't always in the form of seeming gibberish - it can be a sigh, or a primal scream; there's a huge range of intonation and expression.’
- ‘The band also got a rush whenever Nicholls kicked into his primal scream therapy, which he took to ridiculous extremes during some of the slower moments.’
- ‘I almost dropped my phone in shock at the primal scream that came out of it.’
- ‘She despairs in a delirium-driven monologue that reaches the cumulative intensity of a raga, peaking to the primal scream of Greek tragedy.’
- ‘It wasn't words it was a primal scream from the dawn of time when to fight was to live and to submit was to die.’
- ‘This kind of music, which is a kind of primal scream against society's ills, represents an outlet for a segment of the '90s disaffected youth.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.