One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A female priest of a non-Christian religion.
- ‘She may have simply been a priestess, though priestesses often wore dark robes.’
- ‘It was an old fortress that had been turned into a school for young children singled out to become priests and priestesses.’
- ‘The priests and priestesses in Apollo's house of worship burnt incense and led the morning chant to honour the Sun God.’
- ‘Frodo is a priestess of the Goddess and both a Dianic Wiccan and Ecofeminist Christian.’
- ‘For most indigenous religions, priests and priestesses are common.’
- ‘Oracles or priestesses in Zra'Thani were beautiful, tall women clothed in the finest of spider silk.’
- ‘Lesser priests and priestesses serve the shrines of fetishes, minor spirits, and focus on cures and magic charms.’
- ‘They were believed to communicate with priests and priestesses at shrines called oracles.’
- ‘To the priests and priestesses of Illi-Tay-Ynnaudraurios, each year was the time from one harvest to the next.’
- ‘The priestesses and priests became very concerned and knew it was time for some of them to leave if they had any hope of keeping any of their Divine energy intact.’
- ‘The decree requires that the priests and priestesses of Kolophon visit the altars in the old agora to acknowledge the ties between the old site and the current site of the city.’
- ‘Beyond the hordes of robed priests and priestesses, there were villagers.’
- ‘Then the music stopped and the high priestess appeared followed by the several priestesses who attended her.’
- ‘I think it's important to anticipate the kinds of needs that may confront us as we emerge as trained priestesses and priests.’
- ‘I knew she was a Wiccan priestess, and she seemed so open and so comfortable with what she was.’
- ‘The city was bristling with activity, traders, merchants, priests and priestesses.’
- ‘There must be priestesses as well as priests, just as there were in the ancient days.’
- ‘We assume that we are all goddesses, all priestesses, and all teachers in that we all have our lessons to teach.’
- ‘The royal family ate on the dais, along with the high priests and priestesses.’
- ‘Her parents called on a voodoo priestess to help her, after all traditional medicines had failed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.