Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An itchy inflammation of the skin, typically with a rash of small vesicles, common in hot, humid weather.Also called miliaria
- ‘Major Ashby said: ‘Our feet are sore and we have a variety of exotic insect bites and are suffering from prickly heat and sunburn, but apart from that we are all fine.’’
- ‘Come to think of it, the summer was a lot better in spite of the sweat, dust and prickly heat.’
- ‘Irritated summer skin is usually caused by clogged sweat ducts, a condition called prickly heat or miliaria, or by exposure to poison ivy, oak or sumac.’
- ‘The juice of the nettle is good, she says, for a variety of ailments - arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, allergic rashes and prickly heat.’
- ‘Clumps of itchy or prickly tiny red bumps on the skin that appear with hot humid weather in tropical countries is called miliaria or prickly heat in layman's terms.’
- ‘Maybe we would be lucky with a little wind tonight, I thought, so I could sleep without feeling prickly heat.’
- ‘Even though my thighs were not enormous or anything, I would still get prickly heat.’
- ‘The morning, like most out in the open in summer, was cold to start, quickly warming up to an uncomfortable prickly heat.’
- ‘It is important to remember that even minor sickness in the desert can have dire consequences - prickly heat and diarrhea can upset part of the sweating mechanism and increase water loss, raising susceptibility to heat illnesses.’
- ‘Also in hot climates I get prickly heat on my neck (as proven on my trip to the Philippines).’
- ‘Its cooling properties are such that application on the body prevents prickly heat and summer boils.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.