Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Wire (something requiring electrical circuitry) in advance of usual installation.‘we prewired the building’
- ‘Humans do not come prewired for justice or any of the other moral habits.’
- ‘Scientists believe your brain, nerve networks, and thousands of hot and cold receptors in the skin that gauge the ambient temperature are all prewired to make you feel hot well before the air temperature exceeds that of your skin.’
- ‘Although our new home was built more recently, in 1998, it was not prewired.’
- ‘Cut-in cans come prewired to their own junction boxes.’
- ‘The connector insulators are first assembled with pins or sockets that have been prewired or have solder lugs on the back, he explains.’
- ‘Home security led the list of technology purchases, followed by prewiring for cable or satellite TV and a built-in home theater.’
- ‘Other approaches can guide robots, but they typically rely on costly, precision hardware such as laser range finders or on extravagant arrangements that prewire and preprogram the machines to move through controlled spaces.’
- ‘As earthly creatures, we come equipped with brains prewired to this rhythm.’
- ‘Innateness is about the extent to which the brain is prewired, plasticity about the extent to which it can be rewired.’
- ‘Below left is a closeup of the seven fan connectors - only seven because Fan 1 is prewired to the 40 mm fan inside the DigiDoc.’
- ‘This will not require wiring as the connections come prewired to the ballast.’
- ‘Most fans are sold without a light attached, but are prewired for the light kit to make installation easy.’
- ‘Fully tiled bathrooms and fitted bedroom wardrobes are also included and all of the properties are fitted with smoke alarms and are prewired for alarm and satellite TV.’
- ‘Gfci outlets come prewired with two sets of wires marked ‘LOAD ‘and ‘LINE‘.’
- ‘Certain predispositions may come prewired, but they can be overwritten by experience as long as the experience happens while the brain is still in its immature state and rapidly developing.’
- ‘As Lewis, Lannon, and Amini persuasively argue, the human brain is exquisitely prewired to experience love and attachment, and requires such experiences every bit as much as food and oxygen for its healthy development.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.