Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
At a previous or earlier time; before.‘museums and art galleries which had previously been open to the public’‘they discovered a previously unknown gene’
formerly, earlier, earlier on, before, until now, until then, hitherto, once, at one time, in the past, in days gone by, in years gone by, in times gone by, in bygone days, in times past, in former times, time was whenin advance, in readiness, ahead of time, sooner, already, beforehandheretoforeView synonyms
- ‘Windows has no memory of what was previously on screen before it was redrawn.’
- ‘She had been burgled before and had previously challenged at least one of her intruders.’
- ‘Caroline admits her training has opened her eyes to a world she was previously blind to.’
- ‘Their results confirm the suspicion that it is a previously unknown coronavirus.’
- ‘At best it can reveal creatures or habitats previously unknown within an area.’
- ‘Actually, if you had read the posts you commented on previously you should already know.’
- ‘It has happened before, of course, and previously even involved the teams in the top tier.’
- ‘Lincoln Library is a vertitable god of libraries, not just because it was previously a church.’
- ‘He had moved to New York about 3 months previously to do something with his film career.’
- ‘You spoke previously about feeling yourself answerable to certain figures of the past.’
- ‘He has discovered a few previously unknown stars and made them into very good players.’
- ‘In fact, she was a former bankrupt who had previously been charged with insurance fraud.’
- ‘She said she was planning a holiday before starting a year of previously arranged study leave.’
- ‘When a diagnosis is eventually reached, it is on the basis of a previously unknown mutation.’
- ‘People here do not know what previously locked doors they can push open, but they are trying to find out.’
- ‘What is being generated is largely a random sample of previously unknown archaeology.’
- ‘The reason these new prophecies were previously unknown is that they never made the final cut.’
- ‘This already proved the world much older than had previously had been thought.’
- ‘He had entered the Open five times previously, but failed to qualify every time.’
- ‘Having a previously unknown twin sister sneak into the picture would cause anyone to act up.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.