Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The fact or condition of being prevalent; commonness.‘the prevalence of obesity in adults’
commonness, currency, widespread presence, generality, pervasiveness, universality, extensiveness, ubiquity, ubiquitousnessrampancy, rifenessfrequency, regularityfamiliarity, acceptancepopularity, fashionablenessView synonyms
- ‘Average HIV prevalences in the adult population of most sub-Saharan African countries are 25 percent.’
- ‘Ireland currently has the highest prevalence of asthma in Europe and it is still on the increase.’
- ‘They also declined in prevalence as the population became more urban than rural.’
- ‘As our population ages, the prevalence of aortic stenosis inevitably rises.’
- ‘Thus, use of current estimates for the prevalence of passive exposure is again conservative.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.