One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A foppish or effeminate man.‘it was rare indeed for any athlete to be a pretty boy at a time when American men were still stuck in a 1950's macho mindset’as modifier ‘his aging pretty-boy charm’
fop, beau, man about town, bright young thing, glamour boy, rakeView synonyms
- ‘He's improved a lot since his early pretty-boy days, but he's not a magician.’
- ‘Despite the pretty scenery and the pretty boys, the show lacks any sense of drama or emotion.’
- ‘He came back after a few minutes with a pout on his pretty-boy face.’
- ‘So twenty years later, close your eyes, forget the sartorially-challenged pretty-boy poster-images, and listen to the music.’
- ‘He watched the light from the fire flicker over Ken's pretty-boy face.’
- ‘All the men my age are bitter balding drunks or pretty boys with the pretty boy mentality.’
- ‘‘Man, dude,’ the pretty-boy TV guy said, ‘your brain is, like, way better than mine!’’
- ‘There are a lot of pretty boys and I'm not a pretty boy.’
- ‘‘We've got to get rid of the pretty-boy attitude, get into the meat-and-potatoes attitude,’ he says.’
- ‘White's not some pretty-boy quarterback who strolled along easy street all through the regular season because his team was so good.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.