One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A foppish or effeminate man.‘it was rare indeed for any athlete to be a pretty boy at a time when American men were still stuck in a 1950's macho mindset’as modifier ‘his aging pretty-boy charm’
fop, beau, man about town, bright young thing, glamour boy, rakeView synonyms
- ‘He came back after a few minutes with a pout on his pretty-boy face.’
- ‘‘Man, dude,’ the pretty-boy TV guy said, ‘your brain is, like, way better than mine!’’
- ‘‘We've got to get rid of the pretty-boy attitude, get into the meat-and-potatoes attitude,’ he says.’
- ‘There are a lot of pretty boys and I'm not a pretty boy.’
- ‘All the men my age are bitter balding drunks or pretty boys with the pretty boy mentality.’
- ‘He's improved a lot since his early pretty-boy days, but he's not a magician.’
- ‘Despite the pretty scenery and the pretty boys, the show lacks any sense of drama or emotion.’
- ‘So twenty years later, close your eyes, forget the sartorially-challenged pretty-boy poster-images, and listen to the music.’
- ‘White's not some pretty-boy quarterback who strolled along easy street all through the regular season because his team was so good.’
- ‘He watched the light from the fire flicker over Ken's pretty-boy face.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.