One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The dialogue is self-consciously clunky, the characters are stereotypes and each section is fronted with a pretentiously redundant quotation.’
- ‘This movie, on the other hand, looks like it's going to be either a new horror classic that shapes the genre, or one of the most pretentiously awful films of all time.’
- ‘Rather pretentiously, I always have this by the bed - I often find it soothing to read a few pages about the mating and migratory habits of swallows before I go to sleep.’
- ‘Mr. Speaker, it is my belief that if the Good Lord did not want us to behave pretentiously, She would not have made me so pretentious.’
- ‘I, for one, am glad that a network pretentiously titled The Learning Channel is not nearly as highbrow as its name might indicate.’
- ‘The important thing is to get ridiculously and pretentiously creative, and let everyone know what you're doing and what it all represents.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.