Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting a nerve cell that releases a transmitter substance into a synapse during transmission of an impulse.‘the presynaptic terminal’
- ‘In presynaptic inhibition, synapses are temporarily ‘decommissioned’ to weaken the response; but in other cases, they are added to strengthen it.’
- ‘The stimulants promote the release of dopamine and norepinephrine from presynaptic neurons into the synaptic cleft but then block reuptake by these same neurons.’
- ‘The release of neurotransmitter is variable and dependent on the properties of the presynaptic terminal.’
- ‘The properties of the presynaptic neuron can also be influenced by the cell with which it makes a synapse.’
- ‘The second mechanism of TCA cardiotoxicity involves the blockade of norepinephrine uptake at the adrenergic presynaptic endings.’
- ‘Alpha - 2 receptors are located on the presynaptic neuron.’
- ‘The authors proposed a mechanism of action whereby the calcium channel blocker inhibited the presynaptic release of neurotransmitters.’
- ‘Most of the clinically significant symptoms of dissociatives are produced by presynaptic dopamine stimulation and cholinergic antagonism.’
- ‘A variety of experiments indicate that single synaptic connections exhibit a broad distribution of presynaptic release probabilities.’
- ‘The toxin irreversibly binds to presynaptic cholinergic receptors at motor nerve terminals and is subsequently internalized.’
- ‘Instead, transmission is accomplished by the release of a chemical neurotransmitter substance from the presynaptic fibre.’
- ‘Postsynaptic proteins receive the neurotransmitters released by presynaptic proteins.’
- ‘Norepinephrine is a potent vasoconstrictor synthesized from tyrosine in the presynaptic neuron.’
- ‘Molecular features of the phasic and tonic presynaptic nerve terminals are currently under investigation.’
- ‘This occurs at chemical synapses when neurotransmitters are released from the presynaptic neuron and produce excitation or inhibition of the postsynaptic cell.’
- ‘The vesicles within the presynaptic axonal varicosities store the neurotransmitters that are synthesized there by special biochemical systems.’
- ‘Depolarization of the presynaptic membrane causes release of acetylcholine into the synaptic cleft.’
- ‘It does so by blocking the normal presynaptic reuptake, causing an increase in function or activity level of these transmitters.’
- ‘From a screen of 24,000 mutagenized flies, 17 mutants with presynaptic defects in synaptic transmission were recovered.’
- ‘With this low level of presynaptic stimulation, quantal currents could be resolved.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.