One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
sentence adverb As is presumed; supposedly.‘he is presumedly buried at Tanglewood Cemetery’
reportedly, supposedly, reputedly, purportedly, ostensibly, apparently, by all accounts, so the story goes, putatively, presumedly, presumably, assumedly, declaredly, avowedlyView synonyms
- ‘The owner of the domain name is flogging it off, presumedly with the intent of profiting from its rise to rapid notoreity.’
- ‘This small cave called Grotte Hamma is presumedly the location where Cervantes hid with fourteen other fugitives.’
- ‘Ellen's father Jacob died sometime before 1860, presumedly in Lexington County, South Carolina.’
- ‘By 1880, the Crim's moved one county over to Lee County, Texas and presumedly this is where Mary, Ellen's mother, passed away.’
- ‘The children observed were presumedly from normal homes and therefore represented a normal population.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.