One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
sentence adverb As is presumed; supposedly.‘he is presumedly buried at Tanglewood Cemetery’
reportedly, supposedly, reputedly, purportedly, ostensibly, apparently, by all accounts, so the story goes, putatively, presumedly, presumably, assumedly, declaredly, avowedlyView synonyms
- ‘The owner of the domain name is flogging it off, presumedly with the intent of profiting from its rise to rapid notoreity.’
- ‘The children observed were presumedly from normal homes and therefore represented a normal population.’
- ‘Ellen's father Jacob died sometime before 1860, presumedly in Lexington County, South Carolina.’
- ‘This small cave called Grotte Hamma is presumedly the location where Cervantes hid with fourteen other fugitives.’
- ‘By 1880, the Crim's moved one county over to Lee County, Texas and presumedly this is where Mary, Ellen's mother, passed away.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.