Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The shaping of metal by pressing or drawing it into a shaped hollow die.
- ‘All workers came from the assembly line and are novice to presswork.’
2The process of using a printing press.
- ‘It seems that presswork was already completed on a number of Pavier's texts, which are correctly dated 1619; but the question was what to do with the plays yet to be printed.’
- 2.1 Printed matter, especially with regard to its quality.
- ‘The presswork is adequate; the images are small but generally good; and the writing is far better than most of the second category.’
- ‘His books are notable for the quality of presswork, type, and paper.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.