Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Producing an increase in blood pressure by stimulating constriction of the blood vessels.‘a pressor response’
- ‘The pressor effects of epinephrine may be counteracted by medications such as phentolamine and phenoxybenzamine.’
- ‘This finding suggests a direct pressor effect in patients with normal function of the posterior lobe of the pituitary gland.’
- ‘None required pressor support or steroid treatment for hypotension.’
- ‘With a half-life of 10 to 35 minutes, the pressor effects after a single dose last about 30 to 60 minutes.’
- ‘Almost any infusate can be instilled at a rapid rate through an intraosseous line, including blood and blood products, Plasmanate, glucose, crystalloids, pressor agents including epinephrine, dopamine and dobutamine, and atropine.’
- ‘Women destined to develop HIP reportedly lose refractoriness to the pressor effects of infused angiotensin II by wk 18 of pregnancy, whereas calcium supplementation increases refractoriness to angiotensin.’
- ‘Later that day, he developed cardiogenic shock, requiring numerous pressor agents and the aortic balloon pump to maintain his cardiac output.’
- ‘Imadojemu and coworkers studied the mechanism of the pressor response in 11 patients with obstructive sleep apnea.’
- ‘There is usually no need to taper pressor drugs, antibiotics, nutrition, or most other critical care treatments.’
- ‘In an animal model of hepatopulmonary syndrome, NO-dependent increases in HO - 1 expression appeared to contribute to the blunted hypoxic pressor response seen in this condition.’
- ‘Of the cardiovascular changes observed during the anaphylaxis in the pithed animals, the initial pressor response was significantly attenuated by the extract.’
- ‘L-NAME at pressor doses tends to decrease urine volume compared with control, whereas L-NAME at a subpressor dose induces diuresis.’
- ‘Such protective action on pressor response, if any, may appear as an alleviation of reduced coronary flow in isolated hearts.’
- ‘Pediatric Advanced Life Support guidelines for VT / VF are consistent with the adult guidelines, except that epinephrine is the only recommended pressor agent.’
- ‘If a pressor agent must be used, a direct-acting alpha-adrenergic agonist such as norepinephrine is preferable because it acts without releasing intracellular amines.’
- ‘The patient died suddenly in less than 12 hours after presentation, in spite of supportive measures, including ventilation, antibiotic coverage, pressor therapy, and multiple transfusions of blood products.’
- ‘Importantly, the doses used for antidiuresis are markedly lower than those needed for pressor support.’
- ‘Vascular pressor responses to hypoxia are increased in patients with obstructive sleep apnea.’
- ‘High erythropoietin levels can elevate blood pressure either via a polycythemia/hyperviscosity mechanism or by direct pressor effects.’
- ‘Teramoto et al raise the interesting point that an increase in nitric oxide is responsible for a poor or absent hypoxic pressor response as a cause of hypoxemia.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.