One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A book of press cuttings.
- ‘Our attic is jammed with boxes of small press books.’
- ‘The Ingalls Library owns an almost complete set of Kelmscott press books which were donated by Julia Morgan Marlatt upon her death in 1939.’
2A booklet or leaflet put together by a film producer to publicize a new film.
- ‘She brought 25 kg of leaflets, press books and posters for a film project to be directed by Taiwanese director Cheng Wen-tang.’
- ‘For each release, the distributing studio created a "pressbook" containing materials for the marketing campaign.’
- ‘The pressbook promised exhibitors that the movie "reveals no country and omits all propaganda."’
- ‘The pressbook opened with a synopsis provided for exhibitors' eyes only, which made clear that the film concerned the problems of German Jews under Nazism.’
- ‘There are reproductions of lobby cards and press releases from the original 1928 press book.’
- ‘At the same time, every prepared review and publicity story in the pressbook took pains to disclaim that the film reflected any partisan intent.’
- ‘A 2-disc set will include screen tests, storyboards, interviews, trailers, a soundtrack CD, photos, the 20-page press book, and a little rock.’
- ‘Finally, there is an 8-page booklet which appears to reproduce much of the film's original pressbook.’
- ‘Rounding out the set are seven minutes of deleted scenes, a still gallery, a look at the original pressbook, and a trailer.’
- ‘The title page of the film's press book reads: "We study the war against Vietnam and thus penetrate the US".’
- ‘Finally, two folders contain stills and reproductions of premiere press books.’
- ‘This famous quote comes from the film's press book, and was probably the work of a particularly imaginative copywriter.’
- ‘A modern form of colophon is the production note at the end of private press books.’
- ‘Far from mentioning Hitler or Jews, the pressbook did not even mention Germany.’
- ‘MGM's pressbook for its June 1938 release of Three Comrades typified this approach.’
- ‘Extras include some newsreel footage from when Houdini was in Ohio, and two press books including one for this film and another serial he made.’
- ‘Also included are audio biographies for Carson and Campus, a gallery of photos from Carson's collection, the original pressbook, and a theatrical trailer.’
- ‘Finally, we get a 1951 Fox Movietonews, a trailer, some still galleries, and an interactive pressbook.’
- ‘The pressbook for the British release warned exhibitors that "individual discretion must be exercised in your handling" of the film.’
- ‘The pressbook prepared for the film was a remarkably candid reflection of the studio's uncertainty about what to do with the picture.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.