One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A book of press cuttings.
- ‘The Ingalls Library owns an almost complete set of Kelmscott press books which were donated by Julia Morgan Marlatt upon her death in 1939.’
- ‘Our attic is jammed with boxes of small press books.’
2A booklet or leaflet put together by a film producer to publicize a new film.
- ‘A modern form of colophon is the production note at the end of private press books.’
- ‘MGM's pressbook for its June 1938 release of Three Comrades typified this approach.’
- ‘There are reproductions of lobby cards and press releases from the original 1928 press book.’
- ‘Finally, we get a 1951 Fox Movietonews, a trailer, some still galleries, and an interactive pressbook.’
- ‘At the same time, every prepared review and publicity story in the pressbook took pains to disclaim that the film reflected any partisan intent.’
- ‘Finally, two folders contain stills and reproductions of premiere press books.’
- ‘The pressbook prepared for the film was a remarkably candid reflection of the studio's uncertainty about what to do with the picture.’
- ‘She brought 25 kg of leaflets, press books and posters for a film project to be directed by Taiwanese director Cheng Wen-tang.’
- ‘For each release, the distributing studio created a "pressbook" containing materials for the marketing campaign.’
- ‘The title page of the film's press book reads: "We study the war against Vietnam and thus penetrate the US".’
- ‘Also included are audio biographies for Carson and Campus, a gallery of photos from Carson's collection, the original pressbook, and a theatrical trailer.’
- ‘The pressbook promised exhibitors that the movie "reveals no country and omits all propaganda."’
- ‘The pressbook opened with a synopsis provided for exhibitors' eyes only, which made clear that the film concerned the problems of German Jews under Nazism.’
- ‘Far from mentioning Hitler or Jews, the pressbook did not even mention Germany.’
- ‘Rounding out the set are seven minutes of deleted scenes, a still gallery, a look at the original pressbook, and a trailer.’
- ‘Extras include some newsreel footage from when Houdini was in Ohio, and two press books including one for this film and another serial he made.’
- ‘A 2-disc set will include screen tests, storyboards, interviews, trailers, a soundtrack CD, photos, the 20-page press book, and a little rock.’
- ‘The pressbook for the British release warned exhibitors that "individual discretion must be exercised in your handling" of the film.’
- ‘This famous quote comes from the film's press book, and was probably the work of a particularly imaginative copywriter.’
- ‘Finally, there is an 8-page booklet which appears to reproduce much of the film's original pressbook.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.