One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small fastener on clothing, engaged by pressing its two halves together.North American term snap (sense 9 of the noun)
- ‘Perhaps a press stud could also be inserted at the same time as the silicone, to enable their tops to remain attached!’
- ‘The black purse, with a silver zip and press stud, is still missing.’
- ‘The bag is a sort of rounded flattened truncated triangle shape, pleated onto the top band which closes in the centre with a magnetic press stud.’
- ‘Razor blades, combs, buttons, press studs, collar studs, boot laces, thimbles - anything that was small enough to carry and wasn't tea.’
- ‘Another choking hazard are multi-colour educational bears, with buttons and press studs which can be easily detached.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.