Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An interview given to journalists by a prominent person in order to make an announcement or answer questions.‘police chiefs called a press conference to appeal for help from the public’
press conference, conference, meeting, question and answer sessionView synonyms
- ‘The press conference was as notable for the questions that were not asked as for those that were.’
- ‘At a press conference he dodged questions about whether this was a disappointment to him.’
- ‘Schwarzenegger made it clear which side of that debate he stands on at his first press conference as governor.’
- ‘Thank you for your article on the insulting spectacle that was called a press conference.’
- ‘So there we were, at the launch press conference, and the time came for questions.’
- ‘Any chance of a press conference by the chief constable to tell us who he's pointing the finger at?’
- ‘Then there will be a press conference where she will answer questions from the children.’
- ‘He even gave a press conference appealing for help in finding the killer.’
- ‘When she stepped into the room to be questioned by the media, the press conference felt more like the start of a funeral.’
- ‘Journalists gather at the first press conference following the murder to hear an amazing tale.’
- ‘He even plans a sabbatical this autumn - but don't expect a press conference to announce it.’
- ‘The press conference with the science spokesman for the three main parties was very low key.’
- ‘The press corps surprised Chang at the press conference by giving her a birthday cake.’
- ‘He has played down the questions, as he did yesterday at a press conference in Hyderabad.’
- ‘We had a press conference and the room was full of TV and newspaper reporters.’
- ‘One resulting compromise is the short private interview after a press conference.’
- ‘The first meeting in every month will be followed by a press conference.’
- ‘There will be a Question and Answer session at this time - like a press conference.’
- ‘At an emotional press conference they also issued an urgent appeal for information to track the killer.’
- ‘The same is true of the team security expert's attempt to restrain reporters with a rope at a press conference.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.