One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Uncritical adherence to present-day attitudes, especially the tendency to interpret past events in terms of modern values and concepts.
- ‘The presentism of many essayists also creates conflicting interpretations.’
- ‘There are two camps opposed to presentism, the camp that says the past and present are real, and the camp that says the past, present, and future are real.’
- ‘While such presentism gives his work immediacy, it also risks limiting historical issues to current concerns.’
- ‘For example, A. N. Prior, in seeking to mount a defense of presentism - the doctrine that there are no future or past objects - encountered the problem of individuals that no longer exist.’
- ‘First, the individual must have the capacity to live in the moment or a sense of presentism; gratification must be immediate and functionally specific because there is no tomorrow in the world of fashion or desire.’
- ‘This solid study challenges such self satisfied presentism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.