One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excluding those who are here now.‘he's the hardest bargainer in the business, present company excepted of course’
- ‘Present company excepted, I think it's just an excuse for the vain and shallow to fill their otherwise empty leisure time.’
- ‘Everybody I know is dead now, present company excepted.’
- ‘He is a really smart guy, he's been managing editor of ‘The New York Times’ and he has been writing I would say the best column in American journalism over the past two years, present company excepted.’
- ‘I'm the best thing this Department ever had, present company excepted.’
- ‘Well, I think we do know that the television media - present company excepted of course - have not been giving him a very good break.’
- ‘Well, frankly, present company excepted, Mike and Jenny are the only Christians I ever met who behaved at all like what I've heard of Christ.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.