One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ability to remain calm and take quick, sensible action.‘he had the presence of mind to record the scene on video’
composure, equanimity, self-possession, level-headedness, aplomb, poise, assurance, self-assurance, self-control, nerve, calmness, sangfroid, countenance, collectedness, imperturbabilityView synonyms
- ‘But if we stay sensible and keep our presence of mind we can meet the challenges ahead.’
- ‘I am delighted that our officers were able to help and that they showed the presence of mind to ensure a safe delivery of both babies.’
- ‘But I was thrilled that Ashley was able to have the presence of mind to talk to him.’
- ‘But the contestants should also have presence of mind, and, if it is not asking for too much, be smart.’
- ‘Despite their serious injuries, the men remained calm - one even had the presence of mind to make a joke.’
- ‘Nevertheless, as the attack grew ever more frenzied, I still somehow managed to retain the presence of mind to grope for the necessary remedy.’
- ‘They have the presence of mind to take the lifelines only when needed and the knowledge to answer the simpler questions without fluttering.’
- ‘Hospital sources said the girls had shown good presence of mind by running away when they saw a plastic can in the hands of the attacker.’
- ‘So in the final analysis, it seems that the ability to maintain one's presence of mind in the face of danger is a primary issue.’
- ‘My mother with great presence of mind and daring jumped into the narrow creek which joined the sea, and pulled them out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.