One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Radio New Zealand has operated quite successfully in the past without this prescriptively politically correct charter.’
- ‘Again, the goal is to examine ideas and explore concepts descriptively rather than prescriptively.’
- ‘Despite his prescriptively nationalistic attitude, and his commitment to the notion that ‘the bush is the heart of Australia’, Stephens himself was cosmopolitan in his literary tastes.’
- ‘By having the respondents place activities on a scale of acceptability or tolerance, we sidestep the problem of prescriptively defining the meanings of key concepts.’
- ‘While the art and science of diagnosis is dependent upon comparisons among groups, clinicians should apply their choice of treatments prescriptively.’
- ‘And he was generous to many, and offered wise counsel, not prescriptively, but by gentle questioning of your own beliefs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.