Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make it easier for something to occur or be developed.‘these measures prepared the ground for further reform’
- ‘To do this he sets out to clear the undergrowth by caricaturing the achievements of the Reformation and trivialising its main points of contention, thus preparing the ground for something really important.’
- ‘Several developments helped prepare the ground for this achievement.’
- ‘And there can be few better ways of preparing the ground for that revival than bringing in one of Scotland's finest directors to stage one of theatre's classic political farces.’
- ‘They claimed that a ‘cloak of secrecy’ has surrounded seven months of clean-up work to prepare the ground for a 148-home development.’
- ‘They scarcely have time to develop their ideas before they are preparing the ground for their successor.’
- ‘All the signals are that leading figures in all major parties are preparing the ground for a move the public is unlikely to enjoy: state funding of political parties.’
- ‘In preparing the ground for such a development, an examination of the central lessons of the miners' strike is of vital importance.’
- ‘It is a means of preparing the ground for enhancing personal development and contributes to partnership between an individual and the employing organisation.’
- ‘In the 1610s and 1620s, the French painters in Rome and Venice, most of them fascinated by Caravaggio, prepared the ground for the future development of French painting.’
- ‘While Treasury officials say the chancellor will not update his economic forecast until the pre-budget report in November, he is preparing the ground to revise his predictions downwards.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.