One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Existing or occurring before marriage.‘prenuptial pregnancy’
- ‘Abdullah said prenuptial courses given by the government's Islamic Development Department provide enough good advice to last a lifetime.’
- ‘The accusations could involve prenuptial relations, bridal pregnancy, adultery and severe maltreatment of wives and husbands also.’
- ‘The government refused to approve yesterday's civil union at City Hall because it said the couple had given ‘incorrect’ information during the prenuptial vetting process.’
- ‘In Texas, unless you and your husband have signed a marital property agreement, like a prenuptial, all of your wages are classified as community property.’
- ‘She had offered to sign a prenuptial before the wedding and Dane had scoffed at the suggestion, refusing to even draw one up.’
- ‘Thorough due diligence is required as part of the prenuptial process so that unforeseen skeletons in closets are discovered before, not after, marriage.’
- ‘One, who was 74 years old, had had a routine prenuptial test in the United States.’
- ‘The wedding couples get head-to-toe prenuptial treatment and a special honeymoon package.’
- ‘The wrangling over the contract details - the couple took two years after announcing their engagement to hammer out their prenuptial - will probably turn out to be worthwhile.’
- ‘The courts are also likely to be influenced by another English judgment relating to prenuptial contracts.’
- ‘Of course, their road to wedded bliss has been blocked with minor annoyances - criticisms of the May-December romance, prenuptial madness, new babies, etc.’
- ‘For some brides, prenuptial nightmares are a normal part of the wedding preparation.’
- 1.1Zoology Existing or occurring before mating.
- ‘Just let me show you a male and a female worm in a prenuptial mating display.’
- ‘Finally, the honey buzzards, young griffon vultures and hobbies mark the end of the spring or prenuptial migration, around the end of June.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.