One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Existing or occurring before marriage.‘prenuptial pregnancy’
- ‘The wrangling over the contract details - the couple took two years after announcing their engagement to hammer out their prenuptial - will probably turn out to be worthwhile.’
- ‘Thorough due diligence is required as part of the prenuptial process so that unforeseen skeletons in closets are discovered before, not after, marriage.’
- ‘The courts are also likely to be influenced by another English judgment relating to prenuptial contracts.’
- ‘The government refused to approve yesterday's civil union at City Hall because it said the couple had given ‘incorrect’ information during the prenuptial vetting process.’
- ‘In Texas, unless you and your husband have signed a marital property agreement, like a prenuptial, all of your wages are classified as community property.’
- ‘The accusations could involve prenuptial relations, bridal pregnancy, adultery and severe maltreatment of wives and husbands also.’
- ‘The wedding couples get head-to-toe prenuptial treatment and a special honeymoon package.’
- ‘Of course, their road to wedded bliss has been blocked with minor annoyances - criticisms of the May-December romance, prenuptial madness, new babies, etc.’
- ‘One, who was 74 years old, had had a routine prenuptial test in the United States.’
- ‘She had offered to sign a prenuptial before the wedding and Dane had scoffed at the suggestion, refusing to even draw one up.’
- ‘For some brides, prenuptial nightmares are a normal part of the wedding preparation.’
- ‘Abdullah said prenuptial courses given by the government's Islamic Development Department provide enough good advice to last a lifetime.’
- 1.1Zoology Existing or occurring before mating.
- ‘Finally, the honey buzzards, young griffon vultures and hobbies mark the end of the spring or prenuptial migration, around the end of June.’
- ‘Just let me show you a male and a female worm in a prenuptial mating display.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.