Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A strong feeling that something is about to happen, especially something unpleasant.‘he had a premonition of imminent disaster’
apprehension, apprehensiveness, anxiety, perturbation, trepidation, disquiet, disquietude, unease, uneasiness, misgiving, suspicion, worry, fear, fearfulness, dread, alarmView synonyms
- ‘I had strong premonitions of doom, the unmistakable feeling I was walking into a trap.’
- ‘The prince searches for her through the white night of St. Petersburg, his mind full of confusion, premonitions and anxiety, as on the eve of an attack.’
- ‘Perhaps my visions are premonitions… though I doubt it greatly.’
- ‘There is a mystery lurking in Julie's past, a dead body in the pool house, a wizened dwarf all dressed in black: omens, premonitions, suspicions that things are not what they seem.’
- ‘She glanced at Bev and realized her friend was worried about the premonition.’
- ‘My cousin's wife spent last night talking about horrible premonitions and it didn't take much to convince my cousin that they would be better off at home.’
- ‘Marriage is a very real commitment and is devoid of the romantic notions and premonitions we have about it, and that we carry before engagement.’
- ‘I am quite sure that you should not worry too much about your premonitions.’
- ‘It can indicate premonitions or other intuitions about what is to come.’
- ‘A chill, in accordance with all the cliches about premonitions and fears, went up my spine. I got up on the counter.’
Mid 16th century (in the sense ‘advance warning’): from French prémonition, from late Latin praemonitio(n-), from Latin praemonere, from prae before + monere warn.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.