Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Preparatory to; in advance of.
in preparation for, before, in advance of, prior to, ahead of, preparatory toView synonyms
- ‘The archaeological excavation is a necessary preliminary to that work, and pipe laying cannot take place until the archaeology has been completed.’
- ‘More dramatically, we looked over the house that ‘Venice in Peril’ have had surveyed as a preliminary to the city repairing it and dividing it up.’
- ‘It's merely a preliminary to the long and painful efforts to undo the damage, which have no guarantee of success.’
- ‘This was clearly preliminary to a renewed attempt to expand into Scotland, and by AD 142-3 southern Scotland was reoccupied by the Roman forces.’
- ‘The Miss Universe Zambia is the official preliminary to the Miss Universe pageant held every year.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.