One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Preparatory to; in advance of.
in preparation for, before, in advance of, prior to, ahead of, preparatory toView synonyms
- ‘It's merely a preliminary to the long and painful efforts to undo the damage, which have no guarantee of success.’
- ‘More dramatically, we looked over the house that ‘Venice in Peril’ have had surveyed as a preliminary to the city repairing it and dividing it up.’
- ‘The Miss Universe Zambia is the official preliminary to the Miss Universe pageant held every year.’
- ‘This was clearly preliminary to a renewed attempt to expand into Scotland, and by AD 142-3 southern Scotland was reoccupied by the Roman forces.’
- ‘The archaeological excavation is a necessary preliminary to that work, and pipe laying cannot take place until the archaeology has been completed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.