One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Preparatory to; in advance of.
in preparation for, before, in advance of, prior to, ahead of, preparatory toView synonyms
- ‘It's merely a preliminary to the long and painful efforts to undo the damage, which have no guarantee of success.’
- ‘The Miss Universe Zambia is the official preliminary to the Miss Universe pageant held every year.’
- ‘The archaeological excavation is a necessary preliminary to that work, and pipe laying cannot take place until the archaeology has been completed.’
- ‘This was clearly preliminary to a renewed attempt to expand into Scotland, and by AD 142-3 southern Scotland was reoccupied by the Roman forces.’
- ‘More dramatically, we looked over the house that ‘Venice in Peril’ have had surveyed as a preliminary to the city repairing it and dividing it up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.