One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a woman) pregnant.‘I can't wait to get preggie’
expecting a baby, having a baby, with a baby on the way, having a child, expectant, carrying a childView synonyms
- ‘So that's the mercury and seafood and preggie ladies story.’
- ‘Haven't seen the preggie base jumper story yet, will have to google it and have a read while I have a cuppa.’
- ‘I yak about it here and also point you to a most astonishing photo of her preggy balloon-belly.’
- ‘My memory is getting preggy brain fug.’
- ‘After a while we began to do her preggy exercises, those circles and figures of eight that she learnt at her ante-natal class.’
1930s: abbreviation of pregnant + -y.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.