Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
More desirable or suitable.‘lower interest rates were preferable to higher ones’
better, best, more desirable, more suitable, more advisable, advantageous, superior, preferred, recommended, favoured, nicer, more expedientpredilectView synonyms
- ‘I am sure it would be preferable for the local schools and the community orchestra to work in harmony.’
- ‘Experience of children with special needs is preferable, but full training will be given.’
- ‘To help bring the fever down, a slightly cooler room temperature is preferable.’
- ‘That said, it is easy to see why many people find even the hardships of a Scottish island preferable to urban life.’
- ‘It would be preferable if such items were taken away for disposal in the household refuse.’
- ‘It's always preferable to have something else to read at times like this.’
- ‘While it would be preferable if the Complainant did so, it is incorrect to imply that only he can do this.’
- ‘It sounds preferable to having kids locked away playing alone.’
- ‘In the end, firms acknowledge that laying off employees is preferable to going bust.’
- ‘However, he added that it was preferable to finding major problems with the home after completion.’
- ‘It was also viewed as preferable to a sacking which could prompt legal action.’
- ‘Initially it would be preferable to have the property inspected by a reputable timber and damp expert.’
- ‘The chairman of the board said voluntary redundancies were preferable over compulsory redundancies.’
- ‘If a slum is preferable, then we can only imagine the life in their native village.’
- ‘The taste is pretty uniform from bite to bite, so it might be preferable as an appetizer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.