Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A gland at the base of a bird's tail, which produces the oil used in preening.
- ‘More work is needed on the function and distribution of preen glands in Rock Doves and across other species of birds.’
- ‘This gap made it difficult for the bird to seal and waterproof that area with the oils from his preen gland.’
- ‘However, perhaps the plumage of birds with preen glands is more resilient to abrasion from preening.’
- ‘Our results provide the first rigorous evidence that the preen gland is important for plumage condition in birds other than waterfowl.’
- ‘Preening behaviors in birds-including bathing in water or dust and coating feathers with oils from preen glands are commonly thought to improve feather condition.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.