Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to a period before the normally recognized dynasties, especially in ancient Egypt before about 3000 bc.
- ‘There was a determined attempt to impose order on the multitude of gods and religious beliefs that had existed since predynastic times… and the sun-god Re became the supreme royal god, with the king taking the title of Son of Re ’.’
- ‘Many terracotta figurines survive from civilizations of the Stone Age, predynastic Egypt, and ancient Crete.’
- ‘Curtis found that both predynastic Egyptians and Nubians rarely had wisdom teeth problems, but they often existed in persons living in later periods of history.’
- ‘She later went on to conduct her own excavations at the predynastic village of North Sapur, Hemmamiya.’
- ‘The acquisition was made up primarily of ancient Egyptian pottery dating from predynastic times to the Roman period and objects of everyday use from Uganda, a region that until that point had been unrepresented in the museum.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.