Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for predominantly
- ‘Uganda is predominately an agricultural nation depending on growing crops and livestock production for subsistence.’
- ‘The sight and sound of predominately young males parading around the county with stereos thumping and large exhausts growling is a growing nuisance.’
- ‘Many people assume that architecture is a predominately technical subject requiring maths and sciences.’
- ‘The company trades predominately in Wales and the Southwest.’
- ‘A number of the predominately male workforce have twenty-four years service with the company.’
- ‘A ripe peach, for example, is predominately sweet with a hint of sourness, yet as you bite into it, you will taste a little bitterness.’
- ‘It's also a proposal about moving the industry from predominately old forests into regrowth and plantations.’
- ‘The coastal interior of the far-east coast is predominately rice fields at the base of several mountains.’
- ‘Referrals predominately came from within the health service.’
- ‘On the other hand, legal writing faculty, generally hired locally, are predominately women.’
- ‘Through another doorway I can see a mirror which is reflecting a predominately red painting of a village on the opposite wall, out of sight.’
- ‘This was done predominately because children were breaking into the houses and there were dangers associated with this.’
- ‘Their hair was fine, silky soft, predominately black or silver, but with a myriad of other colors, and long.’
- ‘Although strong customer growth continues, it is now predominately amongst lower value customers.’
- ‘I went to a predominately middle-class school and I wanted to fit in and didn't.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.