One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic drug similar to cortisone, used to relieve rheumatic and allergic conditions and to treat leukaemia.
- ‘We decided to treat this patient with oral prednisone and strongly suggested that the pet bird be removed, and it was.’
- ‘The amount of prednisone prescribed will depend on which condition you have.’
- ‘One major reason for that is that arthritis is commonly treated with steroid drugs like prednisone.’
- ‘She was treated with reducing doses of alternate day prednisone for the next three years.’
- ‘Severe pain responds to the powerful corticosteroid drug prednisone, often within 24 to 48 hours.’
1950s: perhaps from pre(gnane) (a synthetic hydrocarbon) + d(ie)n(e) + ( cort)isone.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.