One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic steroid with similar properties and uses to those of prednisone, of which it is a reduced derivative.
- ‘It is thought that prednisolone acts by reducing swelling of the facial nerve.’
- ‘Before becoming pregnant, she was advised to slowly come off some of her drugs, but to continue to take prednisolone, a steroid.’
- ‘Severe attacks of asthma are sometimes treated with a course of steroid tablets, such as prednisolone.’
- ‘One of our technicians complained of a persistent cough uncontrollable by antibiotics and prednisolone.’
- ‘Her dose of prednisolone was then gradually reduced.’
1950s: from prednisone, with the insertion of -ol.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.