Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of or associated with a part of the mind below the level of immediate conscious awareness, from which memories and emotions that have not been repressed can be recalled.‘beliefs and values which are on a preconscious level’
- ‘Inadvertent expressions of preconscious processes have been studied extensively by psychologists.’
- ‘But sometimes, such as when we eat or sleep, our awareness drops to a preconscious level.’
- ‘In deeper sleep, however, even the preconscious detection of very large and infrequent changes in the external environment cannot be made.’
- ‘Conscious experience, conscious selves, are ‘generated by and represent aspects of our own preconscious minds.’
- ‘Freud called attention to preconscious dimensions that impinge on our behavior but never dispensed with them.’
The part of the mind in which preconscious thoughts or memories reside.
- ‘This is thought to reflect a simple, sensory memory that apparently occurs automatically in the preconscious.’
- ‘This occurs in the preconscious although it might later trigger consciousness.’
- ‘This process is said to occur automatically at the level of the preconscious.’
- ‘Deep out of our preconscious comes this fear - fear of the pain of dying and shame of the effect that our dying might have on others.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.