Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Occurring or existing before the beginning of colonial rule.‘the two main kingdoms that flourished in precolonial times’
- ‘Jacobs begins by emphasizing the importance of environmental factors in creating structures of social inequality; there was no precolonial harmony with the land.’
- ‘Competition between clans for political power was a major source of conflict in pre-colonial Rwanda.’
- ‘The system of social stratification has its roots in the precolonial kingdoms.’
- ‘At their core, the four examples represent efforts to replicate or set aside parcels of a pre-colonial lower Mississippi River delta environment.’
- ‘Such trade pieces became highly stylized, showing little of the naturalism of precolonial works.’
- ‘The position of women in pre-colonial Nigeria obviously differed in the vast number of ethnic groups in Nigeria.’
- ‘In pre-colonial Nigeria, women had a much larger position in politics.’
- ‘Mapping Maryland traces the visual depiction of Maryland from its pre-colonial times through the mid-nineteenth century.’
- ‘Many rebels were hoping to restore a pre-colonial social order.’
- ‘He was joined by a group of fishermen from Asere, the core Ga settlement in pre-colonial Accra.’
- ‘Their boundaries were mostly products of late-Victorian negotiation between colonial powers, bearing no relation to precolonial political or ethnic entities.’
- ‘In India, Bombay reverted to its precolonial name, Mumbai.’
- ‘Old Africa Rediscovered mapped out many of the major transformations in the political history of precolonial Africa.’
- ‘Effectively few women owned or controlled property in the pre-colonial period.’
- ‘Phrased differently, current selective pressures on the dogs do not replicate pre-colonial circumstances.’
- ‘They say the land belonged to them in pre-colonial times.’
- ‘Indian activity was heavy through the Mohawk Valley in pre-colonial times.’
- ‘The most enduring symbol is the latte stone, a megalithic structure used to elevate houses in the precolonial period.’
- ‘The pre-colonial section is actually half the lectures in the course.’
- ‘Employing a range of illustrative cases, the contributors demonstrate the ways in which precolonial norms were fundamentally transformed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.