One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An antibody that produces a visible precipitate when it reacts with its antigen.as modifier ‘a precipitin test’
- ‘Their specificity could be related to particular defined groups on the antigen and evaluated quantitatively with precipitin reactions and hapten inhibition of precipitation.’
- ‘A negative serologic assay for precipitins does not rule out disease, as many factors can decrease the sensitivity of the test.’
- ‘Many reports and reviews have challenged the diagnostic value of serum precipitins for case finding.’
- ‘Serum agglutinins, precipitins, and complement-fixing antibodies can also be used to establish a diagnosis.’
- ‘His laboratory was the first to emphasize the importance of precipitins to various peptide and polysaccharide antigens of Aspergillus fimigatus.’
Early 20th century: from the verb precipitate + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.