Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Carried out as a precaution; preventive.‘she was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure’
preventative, preventive, safety, protectiveView synonyms
- ‘We do all sorts of precautionary things to give ourselves a sense of control.’
- ‘We must always take the correct precautionary measures to assure the safety of our children.’
- ‘There will be a precautionary inspection at Southwell at 7.30 am tomorrow to decide if racing can go ahead there.’
- ‘On another occasion, I was much more inclined to resist a precautionary procedure.’
- ‘We are therefore distributing a list of common-sense precautionary safety measures.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.