Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Carried out as a precaution; preventive.‘she was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure’
preventative, preventive, safety, protectiveprecautionalView synonyms
- ‘We are therefore distributing a list of common-sense precautionary safety measures.’
- ‘We must always take the correct precautionary measures to assure the safety of our children.’
- ‘We do all sorts of precautionary things to give ourselves a sense of control.’
- ‘On another occasion, I was much more inclined to resist a precautionary procedure.’
- ‘There will be a precautionary inspection at Southwell at 7.30 am tomorrow to decide if racing can go ahead there.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.