Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Cast (an object or material, typically concrete) in its final shape before positioning.‘precast concrete beams’
- ‘There are precast paving stones in a wide variety of sizes, shapes and colors that are perfect for borders.’
- ‘Although the material can be mixed in standard industrial concrete mixers, most applications to date have been precast concrete.’
- ‘Using concrete minimizes construction waste: whether cast-in-place or precast, concrete is used on an as-needed basis.’
- ‘Formal precast fountains of all shapes, sizes and themes may be self-contained or installed in the center of a pond or pool.’
- ‘In 1979, a certain young concrete engineer was responsible for an onsite precast operation that was producing segmental bridge units.’
- ‘It will be possible in the near future to precast long deck and girder systems using reactive powder concrete that will make very rapid bridge construction possible.’
- ‘This can make them less suitable for some precast and concrete paving applications, especially where mixing times tend to be very short.’
- ‘Precision grout fills voids in blocks and is used as a bedding material underneath precast panels, beams, and columns.’
- ‘The deck is being constructed with curving precast segmental elements, cast onsite, that add to the attractiveness of the project.’
- ‘Various types of high-performance precast and cast-in-place concrete were specified to meet the accelerated construction schedule.’
- ‘Construction is of finely finished precast concrete panels, with the recessed top storeys having steel structure and cedar cladding.’
- ‘Also repeated were precast concrete sunshields above the windows that were sized to fit into the surrounding brick dimensions.’
- ‘Low-cost precast concrete tiles are set in sand over a standard membrane roof to create exterior decks.’
- ‘If the stone or precast concrete element is a single piece that functions as a lintel to support the masonry above, the flashing should be installed over the lintel.’
- ‘The hard part about installing precast concrete countertops is lifting them into position.’
- ‘The compressive form-active dome is a composite of in situ and precast reinforced concrete.’
- ‘Key to the effort was the fast production of specialized machines that fabricated precast concrete girders and fitted their edges with milled steel flanges.’
- ‘The well is precast in the proper height, width, and length, and the entire stairwell is cast into it as well.’
- ‘The structural system includes horizontal precast concrete units that act as transfer beams carrying the load onto rectangular stone piers.’
- ‘Here one faces the glass and precast concrete front of the museum.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.