Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or denoting the earliest aeon of the earth's history, preceding the Cambrian period and the Phanerozoic aeon.Compare with Cryptozoic
- ‘Turquoise here was found as vein fillings and nodules in weathered Precambrian granite.’
- ‘By the early years of the twentieth century, as the geology of the continents began to be better known, it was realized that Permian and Precambrian glacial deposits occur virtually on all continents and at low latitudes.’
- ‘Plenty of suitable sedimentary deposits exist within the late Precambrian and Cambrian strata.’
- ‘The crest of the Blue Ridge is usually underlain with Precambrian or Cambrian igneous rocks.’
- ‘It extends upwards from a depth of about 6 km, at which depth Precambrian crystalline basement is predicted from seismic refraction studies.’
- 1.1The Precambrian aeon or the system of rocks deposited during it.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.