Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The practice of accustoming vermin or fish to harmless bait, so that they will take poisoned or hooked bait more readily.
- ‘Let's face it, these bird feeders are doing a great job prebaiting for us anglers!’
- ‘For prebaiting and to attract the carp while fishing, I prefer hemp and groats which have been well soaked and then boiled.’
- ‘I am a great believer in prebaiting whenever possible for Thames carp.’
- ‘A few years ago, I decided to fish my prebaited swim after prebaiting for only one week.’
- ‘‘I prebaited with my own mini boilies to stop other anglers getting the benefit of all my hard work prebaiting if they fished the swim,’ I explained.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.