One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Adapt (an organism or part of an organism) for life in conditions it has yet to encounter.‘the insulation of marine mammals in temperate seas preadapts them for polar seas’
- ‘Such genes would, therefore, appear to be preadapted to regulate the expression of the related gene through an antisense mechanism; this is a function that is entirely unlike that of the original gene.’
- ‘Because all the known theropods were terrestrial predators, he suggested that the flight feathers must have elongated in the context of insect traps and were later preadapted for flight.’
- ‘From the moment of birth, our limbic system is preadapted to connect with our caretakers, just as the limbic systems of our caretakers are exquisitely designed to connect with us.’
- ‘Their search for food may lead them north, with resource-driven elevational migratory tendencies preadapting them for long-distance migratory behavior.’
- ‘Future research should focus on such traits of cowbird relatives and on how these traits preadapted a particular lineage to become parasites.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.