One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Dogmatic instruction and exhortation.‘successful leadership is a process of persuasion rather than preachment’
- ‘And it was from this popular pulpit that he delivered his 23-year preachment to a faithful congregation of devout and devoted readers.’
- ‘In spite of its amateurish direction and hypocritical preachment, it broke even.’
- ‘The preachments of the archaeological community notwithstanding, the retentionist program they advocate is a prescription for future catastrophes.’
- ‘The whole preachment of Paul is founded on the conviction that love, not power, is the real basis of human relationships, because it's the real basis of our relationship with God.’
- ‘It enlightens without preachment, and lets the dramatic or ironic prose merge seamlessly with the musical numbers.’
Middle English: from Old French prechement, from late Latin praedicamentum.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.