One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A preliminary wash, especially one performed as part of a cycle in an automatic washing machine.
- ‘Do not spray pre-wash stain removers on clothing on top of dryer unless top is protected completely; this may corrode plastic control parts as well as paint.’
- ‘Most stains will come out in the wash, or with the added help of a pre-wash stain remover.’
- ‘Just enough intelligence to get you thinking, as your head begins to spin uncontrollable like a pre-wash cycle.’
- 1.1 A substance applied as a treatment before washing.‘used as a pre-wash, this product conditions the hair’
- ‘A pre-wash having the ingredients of water, an acid and an alcohol is also provided and can be used prior to the application of the cleaning solution to the painted surface.’
- ‘A pre-wash to remove the most stubborn oxidation can be made with equal parts of water, alcohol and acid.’
Give a preliminary wash to.‘he would have to pre-wash the shirt before packing and shipping it’
- ‘I really don't know why they don't just pre-wash them before you buy them.’
- ‘We want food that's been pre-washed, cars with air-conditioning and homes with everything from dishwashers to electric toothbrushes.’
- ‘Genefilter cDNA array membranes, containing 4,133 human genes, were pre-washed in boiling 0.5 per cent SDS for five min.’
- ‘Hands should be pre-washed and nails cleaned with a nail pick under running water to remove gross debris and superficial microorganisms before applying the alcohol-based scrub product.’
- ‘For example, fruit that will be taken in a lunch can be pre-washed.’
- ‘The placemats in size 33 cm x 46 cm are reversible with interlining and the napkins to match are soft and pre-washed in different sizes.’
- ‘The homogenized egg samples were always stored in polyethylene bottles pre-washed with nitric acid (HN [O.sub.3]), and they were placed in a refrigerator until chemical analysis.’
- ‘I was surprised, however, at the quilter who responded that she never pre-washed her fabrics because she liked the puckered look.’
- ‘Also, if your velvet is cotton velvet, you will want to pre-wash the fabric as it will shrink.’
- ‘Also there is no need to pre-wash your fleece fabric.’
- ‘That's why I always pre-wash my mail with Mailwasher.’
- ‘After eating, everyone takes their plates and cutlery to the sink and pre-washes their dishes before loading them into the large dishwasher.’
- ‘I pre-washed it and made it (even though I knew it would lose its nice crisp hand, it still maintained the strong color and the subtle sheen) and its been wonderful.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.