One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Apply tension to (an object) before manufacture or use.‘the safety system pre-tensions the seat belts’
- ‘Using the car's many electronic sensors, Pre-Safe can anticipate an accident and pre-tension seatbelts, close windows and move seats into the optimum position before the worst happens.’
- ‘If the sensor net determined that a collision was imminent, the system could brake the vehicle, pre-charge the airbags, pre-tension the seatbelts, and plot a path to impact that would result in the least likelihood of injury or death.’
- ‘The passenger bag was an option, but standard also was side impact protection, pre-tensioning seatbelts, and anti-dive front seats.’
- ‘The Musso also has ABS brakes, traction control, driver's side airbag, pre-tensioned safety belts and side impact protection bars.’
- ‘Mercedes has a similar system on the S-Class called ‘Pre-Safe’ that pre-tensions the seatbelts, adjusts the seats to their optimal crash position if necessary, and closes the sunroof should the vehicle skid.’
- 1.1 Strengthen (reinforced concrete) by applying tension to the reinforcing rods before the concrete has set.
- ‘Sensors will detect out-of-position occupants and smart belts will pre-tension to position your body correctly so the airbag can intercept you properly.’
- ‘Pretension stiffens cables against deflection, and fabric or foil, also pre-tensioned, can be used between the cables to create very large spans.’
- ‘Effectively an evolution of the familiar DSC traction control system, DSC + offers a range of benefits, including brake standby that pre-tensions the brakes when the driver quickly removes the pressure from the accelerator pedal.’
- ‘Concrete can be prestressed in a factory by tensioning the steel reinforcement first and then placing concrete around it - ‘pre-tensioned’ reinforcement.’
- ‘Dowel bars are similar steel bars installed across joints to provide resistance to shear, but are not pre-tensioned.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.