Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Pack or wrap (goods, especially food) on the site of production or before sale.‘pre-packed salmon steaks’
- ‘What customers get is knowledge that is pre-packed, shallow, mass-produced and inflexible.’
- ‘Rye Valley Foods makes pre-packed meals for major supermarket chains.’
- ‘Even the Canadian Parliament has required stricter nutritional labeling of all pre-packaged goods to come in effect by 2006.’
- ‘In addition, a variety of products will be pre-packaged making it more suitable for buyers.’
- ‘Though they were all tasty, the best of the bunch was the salami - nicely spicy, and very tender, nothing like the hard discs you find topping pre-packed pizza.’
- ‘More than 130 pre-packaged foods, including tinned food, sauces, dried food and drinks, were collected from shops by the department.’
- ‘Speaking in an interview, Mr Dodia said the private sector would also like a tariff adjustment on packaged goods so that bulk packed goods attract a much lower tax than pre-packed goods.’
- ‘If you've been stupid enough to forget your picnic basket, never fear because your local council will have opened up a small kiosk selling weak tea, Cornettos and pre-packed biscuits.’
- ‘These are the best pre-packaged cookies you will ever taste.’
- ‘Much of my food is pre-packaged, and not locally sourced.’
- ‘The Awards aim to improve retail sales of fresh and pre-packed seafood, while maintaining a focus on motivating staff members.’
- ‘He explained that under the Food Labelling Regulations 1996, pre-packed food has to be marked with either a use-by or a best-before date.’
- ‘Luke washed his face, brushed his teeth, and grabbed his backpack, pre-packed the night before.’
- ‘We do offer pre-packed meat, but in several superstores we also have trained butchers who can cut the meat and offer advice on how to cook it too.’
- ‘Does the weight loss Program or Product involve meal replacements e.g. powdered drinks and/or pre-packaged food?’
- ‘Normally, I'm not a fan of such pre-packaged food.’
- ‘The pharmacy was required to dispense six pre-packed capsules to named patients.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.