Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Cool in advance.‘clean, pre-cooled glass slides’
- ‘It is the world's first car to have a remote-controlled pre-cooling air-conditioning system.’
- ‘Then I let the fruit boil for 10 minutes, then removed from the heat and tested for setting by putting a spoon of the jam on a plate pre-cooled in the freezer: if it develops a skin once cooled it's set.’
- ‘Lily-of-the-Valley are often pre-cooled when you buy them, so they will bloom three to four weeks after planting.’
- ‘Just before the race Radcliffe wore a specially designed pre-cool vest for 30 minutes to keep her body temperature low.’
- ‘Users of the Japanese toilet can program it to pre-heat or pre-cool a bathroom at a specific time at a set temperature.’
- ‘Cold-hardy bulbs that need pre-cooling in warm winter regions must be treated as annuals and new bulbs must be planted the following fall.’
- ‘With this design, automakers can offer a ‘smart start’ system where the car is pre-heated or pre-cooled.’
- ‘The emperor's arteries and veins lie close together so that blood is pre-cooled on the way to the bird's feet, wings and bill and warmed on the way back to the heart.’
- ‘The samples collected from the eight plots were placed in a pre-cooled box which was then transported to the laboratory.’
- ‘To pre-cool tulips, hyacinths and crocuses, store at 35-45° F, for instance in a refrigerator crisper drawer, for a minimum of 6 weeks and up to 14 + weeks.’
- ‘Dewar used liquid air to pre-cool compressed hydrogen, reducing its temperature enough to liquefy the gas by expansion.’
- ‘Likewise, refrigeration units now have automatic start-up timers for pre-cooling trailers.’
- ‘Cooling is provided using ground water that pre-cools and dehumidifies the incoming air, and then runs through high-level cooling convectors in the offices for additional effect.’
- ‘Return gas flows back through the heat exchanger to pre-cool the incoming high pressure gas mixture.’
- ‘He remarked that facilities like pre-cooling, grading, packing and ripening chambers will be provided at the private markets.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.