One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic anthelmintic drug used in the treatment of schistosomiasis and other infestations of humans and animals with parasitic trematodes or cestodes.
- ‘What we do have available to us is praziquantel, which is a chemotherapeutic intervention which will actually clear the worm burden.’
- ‘The drug of choice for treatment is praziquantel, but other drugs, such as oxamniquine and metrifonate, are also effective.’
- ‘Mebendazole, albendazole and some others like praziquantel are promising and effective antihelminthic drugs.’
- ‘He was treated with praziquantel and prednisolone and made a complete recovery.’
- ‘Most patients respond very well to one-day treatments with praziquantel.’
1970s: from p(y)razi(ne) + -quantel (perhaps from elements of quinoline and anthelmintic).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.