One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small carpet used by Muslims for kneeling on when praying.
- ‘When he woke in the morning, he would find her sitting on the prayer mat with the Koran in her hands, fast asleep.’
- ‘Women must draw a white gown called a mukena over their clothes which covers hair, arms, hands, body and feet, and then they kneel on a prayer mat to begin their devotions.’
- ‘Also carry a prayer mat in case there is too much rush and you have to say prayers in the open.’
- ‘He then spreads out his prayer mat, facing Mecca.’
- ‘The Koran lays down a precise ritual wherein the prayer mat is on the axis towards Mecca.’
- ‘The Bedouins are known for their weaving of fabrics, including carpets and prayer rugs made on hand-built looms, and traditional clothing that is painstakingly embroidered.’
- ‘He got out his prayer rug, a beautiful melting pot of interwoven colors.’
- ‘Another wall was dominated by a 17 th-century Dutch Torah mantle, and the fourth contained a pair of 19 th-century Islamic prayer rugs from Turkey.’
- ‘When it was time for him to say his prayers, he went into the next room with his prayer rug, said his prayers, and then came out again, and we continued the conversation where we had just left off.’
- ‘On top of the bed lay a prayer rug, a symbol of piety for Muslims.’
- ‘Make the youngest one the salat manager at home, taking care of prayer rugs, timing, and inviting everyone to salat.’
- ‘Particularly striking to me was the room with a medieval crucifix, a standing Buddha, two Muslim prayer rugs, a late-seventeenth-century Torah mantle, and a plaster cast of Michelangelo's Dying Slave.’
- ‘Examples are given in details of prayer rugs, domestic objects and architecture of mosques and pilgrimage sites, demonstrating the diversity of Islam in contemporary culture.’
- ‘It is common in mosques in America that the Qur'an and other religious books are placed on the prayer mat.’
- ‘As we talked by the light of a flickering hurricane lamp, some soldiers knelt on a prayer mat nearby.’
- ‘Shortly after claiming our seats in the waiting area a group of three men approached this object and carefully spread a prayer rug out before it.’
- ‘The devout unroll a small prayer rug and face Mecca to pray.’
- ‘The prayer hall has no pews or seats; instead, worshipers kneel on prayer rugs.’
- ‘It was you who reminded me of my obligation to God by putting the prayer mat in my bedroom that day.’
- ‘In fact religious belief was not necessarily a bar to party membership: in the 1920s it was not unknown for members in Central Asia to take their prayer mats to party meetings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.