Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A devotional offering made to a god, typically consisting of food that is later shared among devotees.
sacrifice, oblation, burnt offering, peace offering, thank-offering, immolation, libation, first fruits, tribute, dedicationView synonyms
- ‘I bowed to the priest, held out my right hand and received the prasad.’
- ‘What the gods leave, prasad, is the purest food for man's spirit.’
- ‘When the temple is reopened, prasad (part of the food offered to the goddess) is distributed in two forms.’
- ‘Still, their need is great, and they are finally persuaded to accept some food packets as prasad, sanctified offerings, from a religious organization, and thus maintain their dignity.’
- ‘Special prasad is offered everyday to the deities.’
From Sanskrit prasāda ‘clearness, kindness, grace’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.