Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A devotional offering made to a god, typically consisting of food that is later shared among devotees.
sacrifice, oblation, burnt offering, peace offering, thank-offering, immolation, libation, first fruits, tribute, dedicationView synonyms
- ‘What the gods leave, prasad, is the purest food for man's spirit.’
- ‘Special prasad is offered everyday to the deities.’
- ‘Still, their need is great, and they are finally persuaded to accept some food packets as prasad, sanctified offerings, from a religious organization, and thus maintain their dignity.’
- ‘When the temple is reopened, prasad (part of the food offered to the goddess) is distributed in two forms.’
- ‘I bowed to the priest, held out my right hand and received the prasad.’
From Sanskrit prasāda clearness, kindness, grace.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.