One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A devotional offering made to a god, typically consisting of food that is later shared among devotees.
sacrifice, oblation, burnt offering, peace offering, thank-offering, immolation, libation, first fruits, tribute, dedicationView synonyms
- ‘Special prasad is offered everyday to the deities.’
- ‘When the temple is reopened, prasad (part of the food offered to the goddess) is distributed in two forms.’
- ‘I bowed to the priest, held out my right hand and received the prasad.’
- ‘What the gods leave, prasad, is the purest food for man's spirit.’
- ‘Still, their need is great, and they are finally persuaded to accept some food packets as prasad, sanctified offerings, from a religious organization, and thus maintain their dignity.’
From Sanskrit prasāda ‘clearness, kindness, grace’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.