One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A devotional offering made to a god, typically consisting of food that is later shared among devotees.
sacrifice, oblation, burnt offering, peace offering, thank-offering, immolation, libation, first fruits, tribute, dedicationView synonyms
- ‘Still, their need is great, and they are finally persuaded to accept some food packets as prasad, sanctified offerings, from a religious organization, and thus maintain their dignity.’
- ‘What the gods leave, prasad, is the purest food for man's spirit.’
- ‘Special prasad is offered everyday to the deities.’
- ‘When the temple is reopened, prasad (part of the food offered to the goddess) is distributed in two forms.’
- ‘I bowed to the priest, held out my right hand and received the prasad.’
From Sanskrit prasāda ‘clearness, kindness, grace’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.