Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in yoga) the regulation of the breath through certain techniques and exercises.
- ‘Once this platform of virtuous living is established, ashtanga yoga's subsequent six limbs can be pursued, beginning with asana sitting quietly in yogic posture, and pranayama, breath control.’
- ‘This system of inner discovery begins with asana - sitting quietly in yogic posture - and pranayama, breath control.’
- ‘It focuses on hatha yoga with some pranayama, and emphasizes doing the postures as rigorously and fully as possible, given the limits of each student's ability.’
- ‘Clearly we see ample evidence that the ancient seers considered it very important that the mind be cleared and prepared to fully experience dhyana and one of the most powerful tools in preparation for dhyana is mantra and pranayama.’
- ‘Mindfulness meditation, yoga asanas and pranayama are each powerful practices that can affect our lives deeply.’
Sanskrit, from prāṇa ‘breath’ + āyāma ‘restraint’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.