One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in yoga) the regulation of the breath through certain techniques and exercises.
- ‘Once this platform of virtuous living is established, ashtanga yoga's subsequent six limbs can be pursued, beginning with asana sitting quietly in yogic posture, and pranayama, breath control.’
- ‘It focuses on hatha yoga with some pranayama, and emphasizes doing the postures as rigorously and fully as possible, given the limits of each student's ability.’
- ‘Clearly we see ample evidence that the ancient seers considered it very important that the mind be cleared and prepared to fully experience dhyana and one of the most powerful tools in preparation for dhyana is mantra and pranayama.’
- ‘This system of inner discovery begins with asana - sitting quietly in yogic posture - and pranayama, breath control.’
- ‘Mindfulness meditation, yoga asanas and pranayama are each powerful practices that can affect our lives deeply.’
Sanskrit, from prāṇa ‘breath’ + āyāma ‘restraint’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.