Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A smooth, sweet substance made by boiling nuts in sugar and grinding the mixture, used especially as a filling for chocolates.as modifier ‘white chocolate and praline cheesecake’
- ‘For dessert, we again shared a vanilla cheesecake, with praline and raspberry coulis, which had the best biscuit base I've tasted in a long time, and a topping which was as light as air.’
- ‘Fold the egg whites, whipped cream and praline into the yolk/sugar mixture.’
- ‘When you hear people talk about crawfish étouffé, bourbon-cured salmon, red rice, sweet potato crème brûlée or praline bread pudding, the mind automatically goes to either the Low Country or New Orleans.’
- ‘The only really good part of the dish was a little bed of toasted nut praline underneath the ice cream.’
- ‘Other desserts include French apple tarts, New York cheesecake, and praline imperial.’
- ‘Hazelnuts, the main ingredient for praline, was a natural with caramel cake.’
- ‘I was so enthusiastic, in fact, that upon leaving I decided to buy my own jars of praline spread and raspberry preserves.’
- ‘Dessert was a further rollcall of tradition and included lemon tart, apple crumble, apple tart, banoffi pie, praline cake and creme caramel.’
- ‘Hazelnut praline snowball cookie combines hazelnut praline in the dough that has a lot of ground hazelnuts.’
- ‘To top it off I chose a frozen hazelnut praline ice cream bombe with a caramelised sugar crust.’
- ‘Some people accidentally dropped their praline square into the melted chocolate, and tempting as it may be, it is not okay to fish for it with your hand.’
- ‘That tart hasn't happened yet, but some of the pralines were put to good use in this pink praline chocolate cake, which I baked for my sister's birthday party a few days ago.’
- ‘Hazelnuts, both in the dough and praline, can be substituted with other nuts such as almonds, walnuts or pecans.’
- ‘The filling was a melange of apricot cream and caramelized nut praline.’
- ‘Well, we have this chocolate and caramel cake, we have this chocolate and praline cake, we have this chocolate and green tea cake, and we have this chocolate and chocolate cake.’
- ‘If you have to choose one entry in the ‘chocolat’ category, try the praline cake, which has a smooth, shiny top, like wet marble.’
- ‘Desserts were more down to earth and we had some excellent apple and pear tarte tatin with spiced ice cream and dark chocolate and praline silk cake.’
- ‘Spread the praline mixture on the oiled aluminum foil, and let stand until completely cool.’
- ‘Why not replace formulaic desserts like cheesecake with additional fresh choices like their praline parfait?’
- ‘Next to it on the plate lay a small slice of tarte, reminiscent of American pecan pie, sweet and sticky with a pleasant hint of praline bitterness.’
- 1.1count noun A chocolate filled with praline.‘pralines laced with alcohol’
- ‘Some more chocolate pralines found their way into my home - and tummy - the other day.’
- ‘You could indulge in a special heart shaped Valentine chocolates and pick from specialty pralines including nougat mocha, walnut and caramel and coconut bounty.’
- ‘Got home threatening to binge on chocolates but only managed to down one praline before my vodka-soaked attention drifted.’
- ‘She also recalled the legend of her great-grandmother who would rise before dawn each morning to make pralines and sell them on the docks of New Orleans in the 1860s.’
- ‘Right before serving I arranged three pralines (crunchy sugar-coated almonds) on top, and balanced a Croquant de Provence, a finger-shaped crunchy almond cookie, on the rim of the glass.’
Early 18th century: from French, named after Marshal de Plessis-Praslin (1598–1675), the French soldier whose cook invented it.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.