Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Used as an expression of relief, joy, or gratitude.‘‘How is your sister?’ ‘On the mend, praise be.’’
- ‘In the exodus, I lose my friends and run to catch a bus that arrives, praise be.’
- ‘Above all, there has been a pleasing impression of pace and simplicity about the play of those under him with, praise be, scant suggestion of backs with furrowed brows playing by numbers.’
- ‘What he didn't do, praise be, was to make the mistake of too many coaches in too many sports and give victory the dreaded epithet of ‘an answer to our critics’.’
- ‘And a short summary of what the guests have to say is, praise be, subsequently posted on the web site.’
- ‘Finally, praise be, his wife and I have a common bond.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.