One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gregarious ground squirrel that lives in interconnected burrows which may cover many hectares, native to the grasslands of North America.
Genus Cynomys, family Sciuridae: several species
- ‘Many species depend on the prairie dog for food or habitat, such as the swift fox, burrowing owl, and ferruginous hawk.’
- ‘For example, the prairie dog is a tremendous pest throughout the Western United States.’
- ‘The ferret's survival has forever been entwined with that of the prairie dog, a foot-tall rodent that makes up about 90 percent of the predator's diet.’
- ‘A current example is the black-tailed prairie dog, which has been reduced to less than one percent of its historic range of 100 million acres and is in grave danger of extinction.’
- ‘A hawk hid under the potentilla bush and leaped suddenly on an overconfident prairie dog a little too far from its burrow.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.